Monday, March 3, 2008

Cathedral

In the beginning of this story, I had no idea I was going to be reading about a blind man and the women who had a relationship with him. I was thinking that I was going to encounter a wonderful work of art on a "cathedral" building. I am still not sue what the whole moral of the story was yet but probably after reading it a second time around will do the trick.
While reading the story, I wondered why the narrator was not very approving of the blind man to join him in his house, and I've noticed that with most of the stories we have read within this class, the couples in them are nameless. It seems as if these couples have to earn their names. They are always referred to as, "the wife" or "the husband". During these times of writing were names irrelevant to the authors?
In Cathedral I thought that the blind man was a bit weird in such a way. Even though he is blind, he seems a little too needy at times. He dosent seem as if he was a person of his own after his wife Beulah passed. After the comment in the story was made about his wife, I was able to identify the background of the people within the story. I think it was very racial to say, "Beulah! was his wife black?" I think that name has nothing to do with what racial background you are. What kind of relationship did the blind man and Beulah have in the first place before they were married?
The lanuage in this story was not of the obvious but I was able to tell that it was from a different time. I think that the characters had voices of their own and I was able to distinguish who was who.

1 comment:

Clary said...

Good Franshaun
This is about the length of a good journal entry. Remember that you are not looking for the "moral" of a story. Morals come with fairy tales or fables, but generally we don't associate them with other types of literature. Instead, just focus on what you notice. What is interesting, suprising, offensive, unusual? Rereading, as you mention, will always help you make more sense of a narrative.

Unnamed characters are always interesting. Why does only Robert get a name? How would your reading experience be different if you were reading about Joe and Sharon? When does the blind man seem "needy." Do you mean dependent? Make sure you provide support for your ideas.
Clary